All children get ill occasionally. It’s very common for kids to go to school, come into contact with an infectious classmate, then bring home the germs to share with the rest of the family!
However, while most childhood illnesses are seldom serious, there are times when you may need to seek urgent medical care. Here’s a brief guide, outlining when you should take your child to your local urgent care specialist.
Knowing the Signs: When to Take Your Child to an Urgent Care Doctor
1) Temperature. If your child simply has a mild fever, it’s likely that all they’ll need is some time in bed to recover, plus plenty of fluids. After all, fever is the body’s way of recovering, and is a very natural symptom of illness. However, if your child is in real discomfort with their fever or you feel concerned about their condition, it’s a good idea to take them to an urgent care doctor, just to be on the safe side. If their fever is excessively high or if they’re unusually sleepy or unresponsive, take them to ER instead.
2) Coughing. A minor cough will probably clear up within a few days. However, if your child is suffering with a sore throat or cannot sleep as a result of their persistent cough, a doctor may be able to help.
3) Stomach ache. If your child has a persistent stomach ache that doesn’t go away after 24-48 hours, you may want to get it checked at your local walk-in doctors. However, do remember that if it’s a severe pain, it’s vital to seek emergency medical care instead.
4) Rash. Rashes are fairly common in children. However, if it’s a particularly severe unexplained rash or if it’s causing your child significant discomfort, it is definitely worth arranging to see a doctor.
5) Headache. Again, whether you take your child to the doctor for a headache depends on a number of factors. If they’ve had it for an extended period of time but it’s not severe, it’s definitely worth getting them checked out. If it’s severe and is accompanied by a stiff neck and inability to look at bright lights, it’s important to take your child to the emergency room straight away.
Urgent Care Services in St Petersburg
If you’re concerned about your child’s health and you’d like to have them checked over by a professional, simply visit Doctors Express today. Alternatively, you can book an appointment by calling 727 821 8700.