As a man, you have special health needs. As you age, there are illnesses that you should be screened for and things you should be keeping an eye on. It’s amazing to think that a few simple blood tests can tell you most of what you need to know about your health. If you haven’t been screened for these diseases, there is no time like the present.
Five Blood Tests to Have Now
• CBC – A complete blood count will clue your doctor in to an array of issues. A complete blood count is the most basic test that you will receive, but it says so much.
• Blood Glucose – A fasting blood glucose test will tell your doctor if you have or are in danger of contracting diabetes.
• Fasting Lipid Profile – As an average man, you should have a fasting lipid profile drawn. This will tell your doctor whether your cholesterol is high or in danger of climbing too high.
• Thyroid – Thyroid disease is not a women’s issue. Men experience hypo- and hyperthyroidism as often as their female counterparts.
• Aspirin Resistance – Most men have never heard of this test, but many men are told to take an aspirin every day to reduce the risk of heart attack. About 20% of men are resistant to aspirin, rendering the drug useless.
No matter your age, if you haven’t had these blood tests, there is no time like the present. Proper screening can determine whether you need to take steps to prevent or treat disease.
Don’t put off having lab work completed for one minute more. Waiting until you are experiencing symptoms of a specific illness may mean that you have waited too long. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to ask your doctor to order these simple blood tests as soon as possible.